About the project
A Scroll team supported UCL to update the quality of content and design throughout their digital estate.
UCL is a large, complex organisation. It has expanded rapidly in recent years by merging with and acquiring other institutions. This means many of its internal systems – digital, administrative and otherwise – are devolved and struggle to integrate as part of a single, homogeneous system. In any given digital project there are many stakeholders with strong and often conflicting needs and opinions.
However, UCL has a strong vision for its future. It nurtures innovation and disruption in its mission to solve some of the world’s biggest problems and develop great minds for the future. But the online prospectus struggles to communicate this vision, and recruiting the best students in the modern world depends on courses being sold accurately and effectively online.
While it works on improving the systems used in content creation and governance, the central digital team UCL needed support in identifying opportunities to improve how the 12 schools and faculties communicate about teaching and research to prospective students. It also required content experts to give advice, support and recommendations at a local level to improve the quality of content as far as current systems will allow.
The work we did was very successful.
- The data we collected has given the central digital team a better understanding of the factors at play at faculty level, and a stronger basis from which to make decisive progress in future development projects.
- We received overwhelmingly positive feedback from trainees for helping them instil a user-first mentality and content design principles into their content practice.
- We received requests for follow-up training from the team at the renowned Institute of Education, 9 months after the initial training sessions ran.
- The co-design work produced excellent prototypes that are ready to be converted into high fidelity systems that will improve student recruitment prospects.
- The Virtual Open Day series, for which we supplied content, was a success and generated well above expected attendance and recruitment prospects.
- The client was able to gain the support required to establish a permanent content design function at central college level to support the continuation of this work.
UCL is a world-renowned Russell Group university based in London. UCL is working to grow its digital maturity and maintain pace with its competitors to enable it to succeed and thrive in the coming years.